Historic Town of Newton, NJ

Stroll the town center and trace Newton's history in its architecture. The stories are endless and the characters are fascinating--too many to tell here--beginning before the American Revolution, witnessing great commercial expansion during the Civil War era, and blossoming as a modern hub for local government and business.

Newton's historic district begins at the green, site of the Civil War monument, just across from the County Courthouse at 1 High Street. Circle down and back along Spring Street to sample Newton's shopping district and admire architectural details on each building. The styles range from modern to original --Greek Revival (County Courthouse, 1 High Street), Colonial Revival (Sussex & Merchants Bank, 93-95 Spring Street), Italianate detail (English Building, 161-165 Spring Street), Romanesque Revival (Margaret Cortelyou House, 156-160 Spring Street), Second Empire details (Fire Museum at 150 Spring Street, Spring Street Pub & Grill, formerly the Waldmere Hotel at 144 Spring Street, and the J. Snook Building at 150 Spring Street). The closer to the green, the older the buildings.  

The clock at the corner of Spring Street and Main Street dates from 1920 and still runs! Turn up Main Street and stroll all the way to the Merriam House at 131 Main Street, a yellow Queen Anne style structure from the Victorian Period in the 1880's. You will pass multiple homes and buildings in this residential-turned-commercial area. On your way back, seek out the older homes and churches that line Liberty Street, High Street, Division Street, and Church Street. Admire examples of private residences typically built by Newton's successful businessmen and factory workers in the 19th century.

Modern day Newton is home to some of Sussex County's finest eateries, entertainment and stores. Shopkeepers, chefs and citizens welcome out-of-towners year round.   

Find out about more activities at GoNewton and EnjoyNewton. For great stories about Historic Newton, please visit www.newtonnj.net.

Read more

Location

Collapse
Nearby
Latitude: 41.056598 Longitude: -74.750501 Elevation: 646 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here
Sara Megletti

Time Period Represented

Established as the county seat in 1761. Evolving for more than 200 years.

Seasons Open

We are open for business and discovery 365 days a year!

Pet Friendly Notes

Pets on leashes, please. Don't forget to pick up!

Leave a Comment

Submit