The Columns Museum and Pike County Historical Society

The Columns is a local history museum housed in a 1904 neo-classical mansion on Broad Street in Milford, Pa.  The building also serves as the location of the Pike County Historical Society, official historical society of the county. 

The museum houses the famed Lincoln Flag, which is the flag placed under President Abraham Lincoln's head the night he was shot at Ford's Theater.  The flag is stained with the President's blood. Other items include a 1850's Stagecoach, and articles pertaining to the people, places and events that have made up Pike County's rich history. 

The Delaware River and areas within the National Park are highlighted among our collections, including items belonging to Charles Saunders Peirce, Zane Grey and Marie Zimmermann; and lest we forget old Arrowhead, the home of science fiction writer/ agent extraordinaire, Virginia Kidd; the history of these homes and their inhabitants well documented within our archives and various holdings. 

The museum has partnered with the NPS on projects endorsing river use, such as the Zane Grey Fishing Derby, held in 2014.  We also have a local history library, open to the public, which includes photographs, books and maps of the area, where a rainy day can be spent vicariously experiencing the area, if you left your rain gear at home.

Our archives and library include much information, photographs, maps and original documentation related to the area.  Historical programming is offered, as well as youth programs including museum sleepovers, and Intern program.

Read more

Location

Collapse
Nearby
Latitude: 41.325762 Longitude: -74.798983 Elevation: 503 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here
Lori Strelecki

Seasons Open

Open year round Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Additional hours in July and August or by appointment.

Hours Open

Open year round Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Additional hours in July and August or by appointment.

Fees

$5 adults $3 students

Pet Friendly Notes

The Museum has a mascot named Tamale.  She is a friendly Blue Tick Coon Hound who enjoys accompanying our guests on their museum tours.

Leave a Comment

Submit