Brick House Village (aka the Village of Montague) - Montague, NJ

This hamlet, within Montague Township, formed at the convergence of Old Mine Road with early trails, and the turnpikes which followed. Nearby was a ferry crossing to Wells Ferry, PA - later renamed Milford. The hotel, which lent its name to this village, was taken under eminent domain and demolished when the current Milford-Montague Bridge was being constructed and US Route 206 was aligned to access the new bridge.

Many of the remaining homes and some businesses were lost a few years later to the Tocks Island Dam project, or moved. Both the Nelden-Roberts Stonehouse [once used as a schoolhouse by John D. Everitt] and the Nelden-Hornbeck Farmhouse (aka Roberts Farm) remain and are listed on the NJ State Historic Register.                                

Nearby on CR 521/ River Rd., past the historic marker, is the Minisink Reformed Church and its churchyard,  the former Brick House schoolhouse (now a residence), and a few private homes. Further north along CR 521 is the Foster-Armstrong House, a National Register Site, which is opened for tours and programs by the township's local historical society, known as M.A.R.C.H.

Read more

Location

Collapse
Nearby
Latitude: 41.301562 Longitude: -74.794136 Elevation: 522 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here
Alicia Batko

Time Period Represented

mid-1700's to 1970

Visitor Fees (if any)

Nelden-Roberts Stonehouse & Foster-Armstrong House are open for tours on certain dates - donations welcomed.

Seasons Open

Sites are accessible spring through fall and weather-permitting in winter.

Leave a Comment

Submit