Brick House Village (aka the Village of Montague)

This hamlet, within Montague Township, formed at the convergence of Old Mine Road with early trails, and the turnpikes which followed. Nearby was a ferry crossing to Wells Ferry, PA - later renamed Milford. The hotel, which lent its name to this village, was taken under eminent domain and demolished when the current Milford-Montague Bridge was being constructed and US Route 206 was aligned to access the new bridge.

Many of the remaining homes and some businesses were lost a few years later to the Tocks Island Dam project, or moved. Both the Nelden-Roberts Stonehouse [once used as a schoolhouse by John D. Everitt] and the Nelden-Hornbeck Farmhouse (aka Roberts Farm) remain and are listed on the NJ State Historic Register.                                

Nearby on CR 521/ River Rd., past the historic marker, is the Minisink Reformed Church and its churchyard,  the former Brick House schoolhouse (now a residence), and a few private homes. Further north along CR 521 is the Foster-Armstrong House, a National Register Site, which is opened for tours and programs by the township's local historical society, known as M.A.R.C.H.

Read more

Location

Collapse
Nearby
Latitude: 41.301562 Longitude: -74.794136 Elevation: 522 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here
Alicia Batko

Time Period Represented

mid-1700's to 1970

Visitor Fees (if any)

Nelden-Roberts Stonehouse & Foster-Armstrong House are open for tours on certain dates - donations welcomed.

Seasons Open

Sites are accessible spring through fall and weather-permitting in winter.

Leave a Comment

Submit