Merry Christmas from Knowlton Township Historic Commission!
The Knowlton Township Historic Commission will sponsor their first Christmas In The Country House Tour, a fundraiser that will feature a self-guided tour of historic homes and landmarks in Knowlton Township decorated for the holiday season. The event will take place on December 8 from 1 - 4 PM.
In total about ten Knowlton Township historic homes and landmarks will have their doors open with hosts on hand to welcome tour attendees. There will also be nine sites to enjoy from the roadside that are positioned along the way. All features of the tour will be indicated on the map and have information about the property's history on the program.
Advance tickets for the holiday house tour are available for $15pp at Eventbrite or purchased on the day of event for $20pp (cash only). Link to Ramsaysburg.org for ticketing through Eventbright: TICKETS! Christmas in the Country
Sunday’s tour will commence at the historic Ramsaysburg Homestead Tavern building on the Delaware River, located at 140 Route 46 (corner of Ramseyburg Road). Visitors will find a charming holiday pop-up shop open from 1 - 2:30 featuring Myron Baley’s famous bacon, smoked on site at the Ramsaysburg smokehouse, along with local farm-to-table products including local honey from E & R Mathez Farm and Taylor's maple syrup. Beautiful holiday wreaths and a lighted Christmas tree, courtesy of Triple Creek Farm & Nursery, will festoon the tavern. Complimentary holiday refreshments and a wassail bowl will be available for guests from 1-2:30. We are looking forward to enjoying the holiday with the tour goers.
For more information on Triple Creek Farm & Nursery: Triple Creek Farm & Nursery
Your tour map will direct you past the Dr. Jabez Gwinnup House, which, built in 1815, actually predates the village at 61 Valley Street. Albert Ammerman’s blacksmith shop, which he established on property he purchased from Blair in 1866, is also still prominent in the village. The Knowlton Presbyterian Church was one of the first places of worship in the historic community. The Delawanna House, a former summer boarding house on the outskirts of the village, will be open for inspection. Further up Delaware Road, the Silverthorne Farmhouse, built some time before 1840, will also welcome visitors. You can also visit the Garden State Heirloom Seed Society Museum which now occupies an old farmhouse at Delaware Lake.
Among several crossroads communities spread throughout the township, the former village of Polkville once contained a school, a post office and a smithy shop. Two surviving nineteenth century residences on Polkville Road will open their doors.
Travelers can cross the Paulins Kill on the historic stone Brugler Bridge near the village of Hainesburg, whose most prominent structure is the former Hainesburg Inn. This odd structure, a combination of Italianate, Second Empire and Queen Anne styles has been adapted as an animal hospital. Across the street, you can visit Winterberries Yarn Shop, which now occupies another former inn. Another stop you won’t want to miss is The Rosemary Inn, a beautifully restored farmhouse on a farm set beneath the Kittatinny Ridge.
For more information on Winterberries Yarn Shop: Winterberries Yarn Shop, Hainesburg, NJ
HISTORY OF RAMSAYSBURG HISTORIC HOMESTEAD & GROUNDS
Catering to both road and river traffic and commerce, the tavern and about fifty acres along the Delaware River in newly formed Knowlton Township appealed to brothers James and Adam Ramsay in 1795. The prime location, complete with a tributary cascading from the mountains into the Delaware River, held unlimited potential. Built in two parts, the building’s original portion is dated circa 1800. It is at once typical of the average construction of its era, and atypical in its form and function. Built as a tavern/store and a dwelling place, the original portion of the homestead was definitely a multi-use structure.
In the mid 1800s, commerce at Ramsaysburg yielded to the village of Delaware, which was established by local businessman John I. Blair for the purpose of serving as a terminus for the Warren Railroad, built in the 1850s. Blair laid out the streets, and built a hotel, store and train station in 1856 that turned the town into a commercial center and a main shipping point for local agricultural products. The railroad also brought tourists to town, capitalizing on its proximity to the Delaware Water Gap, the river, and the surrounding woods and fields. The Delaware Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.
The Knowlton Twp. Historic Commission received an operating support grant from the Warren County Division of Cultural and Heritage Affairs with funds from the New Jersey Historical Commission, a division of the Department of State.
DIRECTIONS: The Ramsaysburg Historic Homestead is located at 140 Route 46 at the junction of State Highway Route 46 and Hope-Ramseyburg Road, just south of the historic village of Delaware, New Jersey 07833. From Route 80 take Exit 4 and head east on Rt. 46 for 4.3 miles. For more information visit the website at www.ramsaysburg.org or send your email to RamsaysburgHomestead@gmail.com.
Ramsaysburg’s structures have been significantly restored thanks to important grant support from the Garden State Historic Trust Fund/NJ Historic Trust, The Warren County Municipal and Charitable Conservancy Trust Fund, The Warren County Cultural and Heritage Commission, The National Park Service/Martins Jacoby Watershed Association and The Delaware River Greenway Partnership and the kind cooperation of the NJ Department of Fish and Wildlife. The Knowlton Township Historic Commission gratefully acknowledges the generous support of the many friends of Ramsaysburg who have given generously of their time and talent. Volunteers are always welcome.
In 2017 Knowlton Township Historic Commission celebrated twenty years since its establishment in 1997. In addition to preserving the Ramsaysburg Historic Site, the Commission has worked with the State Office of Historic Preservation to recognize local historic districts and sites and to highlight the area’s rural agricultural history. Today Knowlton Township boasts many working farms, some held for generations by farming families dating back to the early 1800s.