Fort Decker

Fort Decker was built before 1760 - a stone building used as a fortified home for local residents to go to when threatened by Indian attack.

Several pension applications of militiamen who served during the Revolutionary War describe the building as "a small piquet fort" and "the stockade of Martinus Decker's settlement".

In his second attack on the Minisink Region on July 20, 1779 - Mohawk Indian, Joseph Brant, and his Tory and Indian troops set fire to the building. The attack led to the only major battle of the Revolutionary War in the Minisink area.  The Battle of Minisink fought at Minisink Ford, New York on July 22, 1779 was a resounding loss for the local militia. The building was later rebuilt in 1793.

The historic fort is maintained by the Minisink Valley Historical Society as a museum, and opened for tours.  

Read more

Location

Collapse
Nearby
Latitude: 41.37847 Longitude: -74.701538 Elevation: 449 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here
Minisink Valley Historical Society

Time Period Represented

Revolutionary War Era

Visitor Fees (if any)

Donations

Seasons Open

Last Saturday of each month from May through October

Accessibility Notes

First Floor Handicap accessible

Leave a Comment

Submit