Come experience the historic charm and warm hospitality of the Grand Eastonian Hotel & Suites.
Spend the night in a newly designed classic guest rooms, a spacious suite or in one an extended stay suites, all graced with a "loft" style, rustic beamed concrete ceiling. All suites are beautiful and offer chestnut wood floors, fireplace, flat screen TV and marble baths.
Relax in the onsite fitness center, swim in the indoor pool and enjoy WIFI, all complimentary for overnight guests. Stroll along the adjacent river walks or enjoy historic downtown Easton and its many award winning restaurants and shops, just footsteps away.
The hotel was built in the 1920’s as part of a movement in mid-sized cities to create landmark hotels as the crown jewel of downtown life. The architect, Thomas, Martin & Kirkpatrick, headquartered in Philadelphia, had buildings to its credit throughout the state, including the Girard College Chapel, the Gothic revival ARCH center on the Penn campus and the Hollenback Center at the University of Pennsylvania. The Hotel Easton, however exceeded all expectations.
The grand opening was held on February 10, 1927. More than four hundred Eastonians and guests came, including nearly half a hundred prominent hotel men from all parts of the East. They praised the interior construction and marveled at the furnishings.
The hotel soon became a local landmark and anchor of the community, and went on to become a premier place to stay in the 1940s and 1950s, counting Eleanor Roosevelt and Jack Dempsey among its guests. Others who passed through included the cigarette making Morris Brothers, Phillip and Johnny, and Tiny Tim. The hotel also served as a favored site for political functions in the 1960s and 1970s, and Easton residents remember politicians such as John F. Kennedy and Jesse Jackson speaking there.
A half a century after its opening, however, the Hotel Easton ran into hard times. Easton and the region as a whole was in decline, and the hotel’s fate mirrored that of its surroundings. In 1990, the building was unceremoniously closed down in bankruptcy. Unfinished drinks were left in the bar and unmade beds were left behind. Cobwebs gathered and plaster began to peel as it sat abandoned, year after year.
In 2004, the building was acquired and renovated as a condominium with great care for the surviving historic features, while combining the upper levels’ 170 hotel rooms into 30 apartments. This use has restored numerous elements of the original building as well as retaining its original elevator lobbies.