Located at Fifth and Ferry Streets, the Nicholas House is one of the few buildings in Easton remaining from the colonial era. This house is important because it has always been the home of a working class family. Named for Jacob Nicholas, a wood turner who later became the owner/captain of a Durham boat.
This “bank” house was built about 1807, which still retains the original 200 year old brick entry walk. The walk-in fireplace in the kitchen includes a beehive oven for baking, the second floor furnishings date from the 1830’s Much of the interior woodwork is the original.
The house was listed on the national Register of Historic Places in November, 1976 and is owned by the City of Easton, under the care of NCHGS.
The Jacob Nicholas House is open for tours on special event dates, and by special appointment for school or group tours.