The Nelden-Roberts Stonehouse in Montague, New Jersey is managed by MARCH (Montague Association for the Restoration of Community History) under an agreement with the NPS and is located in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. It is located on the west side of State Route 206.
M.A.R.C.H incorporated in 1979 with much enthusiasm to preserve the area’s history, educate the public, and maintain two historic homes.
The Nelden-Roberts Stonehouse is a rustic stone house built in the early 1800’s. It is named for George Nelden, who settled in Montague in 1820, and for the Roberts family who later owned the farm across the road. Nelden built the house as a one room schoolhouse to educate his children and offer it for other children in the community. Over the years, it has served as a home to many families. It is listed on the New Jersey State Historic Register.
The house still has its original wide-wood plank flooring. There is a cooking fireplace on the first floor with a heating fireplace above it on the second floor. The first floor is set up to resemble the one room schoolhouse with a few old school desks, a teacher’s desk, abacus, school bell, dunce hat, pictures of one school houses in Montague and a collection related to the life in the area during the 19th century.
Climb a winder staircase to the second floor, you will see the school master’s bedroom and a Native American display of spear heads, scraping tools and ax heads. Take a moment to stroll through the herb garden outside and have a picnic at the picnic tables behind the house.