The Shafer Grist Mill is a superlative example of 19th century American mill design and is an important representation of a rural industry that contributed to the development and sustenance of an agricultural community in northwestern New Jersey. Located in Stillwater Township, the mill drew water from the Paulinskill River via a raceway to drive its turbine-powered machinery. Built in 1844 by Rev. Casper Schaeffer upon the burned ruins of his previous mill, the 3 ½-story, side-gabled building was situated on the village main street, set among residential dwellings, commercial establishments, and workshops. In 2009 the mill was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a significant example of early sustainable technology and masterful craftsmanship.
The mill suffers from a leaky roof and an infestation of powder post beetles. The Historical Society of Stillwater Township is working with Swartswood State Park and local officials to preserve this historic structure. Community support is needed.
Historical Society of Stillwater Township
P.O. Box 238, Stillwater, NJ 07875