The first Easton Post Office was established March 20, 1793. The location was moved by almost every postmaster until the construction of the present building, located on the corner of South Second and Ferry Streets, in 1910.
The Easton Post Office was constructed in 1910 as a two story mix of Beaux-Arts and Neoclassical styles with limestone cladding and wood double-hung windows. A later addition, complementing the original style, was built in 1937. The building is located in Easton’s historic district.
Original flooring, ornate trim and even the original post office boxes are still in place. Used throughout the building is a mined stone known as Royal Jersey Green, which is a light green jade like serpentine marble. This stone was mined locally, from a quarry that became depleted in the early 1970’s.
On December 30, 1931 the Easton post office was the site of a terrorist bombing, which killed several people. The bombers were never arrested and prosecuted, and the full story can be found on-line from several sources.