Moravian Hall Square is a retirement community located in the center of Nazareth, PA. The grounds of Moravian Hall Square include a large historic protected woodland area known as The Pleasure Garden. This area features a small stream with native watercress, water lilies, and plant life native to the region in a beautiful wooded hillside. This spring fed stream is part of an estuary system that flows into the Schoeneck Creek, and joins with the Bushkill Creek and onto the Delaware River.
The walking paths are frequented by local townsfolk, Moravian Hall Square residents and visitors to the area. This natural treasure area has been adopted as a service project by a variety of community groups as a botanical enrichment area for more than 250 years. Dedication to retain the natural beauty and bounty of the garden and introduce plants from foreign lands began in the 18th century with missionaries gifting specimens that were planted by the community members. That dedication continues today as residents and volunteers, along with staff members, work to maintain the beauty of this space.
This site has long been recognized as a Certified Wildlife Habitat by the National Wildlife Federation. Through Conscientious planning, landscaping and sustainable gardening, wildlife can find quality habitat - food, water, cover and places to raise their young in this mini refuge.
Named some 200 years ago, the Pleasure Garden was historically a place where people gathered for recreation, including musical performances, which is why we hold concerts in this same space today.
The Pleasure Garden has been cited as a place of historical significance in several publications including The History of Nazareth 1740 to 1940 and memoirs of visiting dignitaries from the colonial period.